Lorillard Tobacco Company
April 2007 – March 2014
Manager – IT Quality Assurance and Compliance
Lorillard Tobacco Company, founded in 1760 by entrepreneur Pierre Lorillard, is America’s oldest continuously operating tobacco company in the United States and is the nation’s third largest tobacco company. Lorillard, an indirect subsidiary of the Loews Corporation, does business in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico and other outlying U.S. possessions. In January 2002, Loews issued the Carolina Group (NYSE: CG) tracking stock for the purpose of recognizing Lorillard’s financial performance. Today, Lorillard manufactures Newport — the number one selling menthol cigarette in the U.S. — as well as brands Kent, True, Old Gold, Maverick, Satin and Max.
- Primary responsibility for developing the strategy and implementing the quality management framework and processes to support computer system validation and maintaining validated software systems.
- Understanding of existing and proposed regulatory compliance requirements and the assessment of impacts on IT processes and services.
- Ownership of the investigation, conceptualization, standardization, implementation, training, support, and continuous improvement practices for standards, infrastructure, resources, policy guidelines, and tools relative to software development processes and methodologies, quality management practices, and change and configuration management processes. This ownership was for all application development languages, on all platforms.
- Responsible for providing visionary guidance, implementing, and managing the IT Quality Center of Excellence.
- Established strategic partnerships with Lorillard business partners, IT project managers, and software development teams to continuously improve the delivery of IT products and services.
- Owner of enterprise change management processes that manage the introduction of all change to Lorillard IT production systems and environments.
- Responsible for Lorillard’s Business Continuity Planning and Disaster Recovery planning and testing.
- Implemented the IT Quality Center of Excellence that formalized quality management practices and processes for all IT deliverables. This was implemented as a joint effort with the Lorillard IT Project Management Office (PMO) and is part of a continuous improvement effort aimed to improve the delivery of IT services.
- Working in conjunction with the CIO, implemented an enterprise change management strategy to manage the introduction of all change to Lorillard IT production systems and environments. This included the implementation of an electronic workflow product to manage the routing, approval, and communication process for all IT changes.
- Working in coordination with the Lorillard IT PMO, developed a long-term, continuous improvement strategy related to project management methodologies, software development process methodologies and standards, quality management processes and techniques, and change and configuration management. This strategy includes the continuous introduction of new processes and methodologies on a quarterly basis.
- Successfully managed seven full disaster recovery tests. This included, for the first time, the participation of Lorillard business partners in disaster recovery testing.
- Negotiated and implemented a service where the Lorillard BCP recovery services partner performs all system recoveries in the event of a disaster declaration. This effort included the creation of detailed recovery procedure documentation for every Lorillard IT system and application.
- Saved over $275,000 in direct dollars due to contract review and renegotiation with a vendor service provider.