Laboratory Corporation of America
May 2005 – December 2006
Director – Product Director
Laboratory Corporation of America is a clinical laboratory and pioneer in genomic testing and the commercialization of new diagnostic technologies, LabCorp is one of the world’s largest clinical laboratories, with annual revenues of $3.3 billion in 2005. Headquartered in Burlington, North Carolina, LabCorp has approximately 24,000 employees and offers more than 4,400 clinical tests ranging from routine blood analyses to the most sophisticated molecular diagnostics.
- Partnered directly with senior business management to define new market opportunities, establish strategic healthcare product roadmaps, and to deliver IT solutions to meet corporate and business strategies.
- Led the alignment of corporate business units to develop and deliver a comprehensive and cohesive e-business strategy for the entire enterprise. Worked directly with Marketing and Legal Departments to build brand consistency while maintaining compliancy.
- Established councils and a governance process to manage the enterprise e-business strategy. Led the implementation and migration to this internet/intranet, portal-based strategy.
- Developed technical strategies and managed a multi-year technology plan in support of business strategy and key corporate objectives. Served as a “Solutions Provider” to offer visionary guidance to business partners in using technology to enable business solutions.
- Provided full leadership to several business and IT teams to take strategic product roadmaps and turn those into marketable and profitable products. These teams were responsible for project management, business and functional analysis, technical analysis and design, product development and testing, product implementation, and P&L measurement and reporting.
- Performed complete vendor relationship management and contract negotiation, including RFP creation and development, for all product outsourcing activities. Managed the vendor relationships from inception to product release to guarantee a quality product.
- Developed and implemented full support methods, controls, and SLA’s for all products, users, and operational systems. As several products were the first to offer such extensive online interaction directly with the patient, many of the methods and controls had never previously existed.
- Provided complete accountability and responsibility for budget and expense management and reporting.
- Partnered with senior business unit management to establish external corporate relationships and to evaluate other companies for possible product synergies, or as acquisition targets.
- Delivered several new product launches that met all dates, milestones, and budget projections. These new products are estimated to add $2.5 million annually in additional corporate revenue.
- Implemented a comprehensive and cohesive e-business strategy for the enterprise that included oversight, management, and governance processes. Provided influential leadership in the consolidation of disparate applications and content into a comprehensive solution that met customer needs.
- Created a model RFP, vendor evaluation, and selection process that is used across the organization in selecting vendors for outsourcing efforts.
- Assigned to this role by the CIO due to my ability to build long-lasting business relationships, to establish, evaluate, and execute a strategic vision, and to manage vendor relationships and budget dollars. Served as the “IT Front Man” to several highly visible and valuable projects.